Will Hip-Hop Ever Accept Homosexuality? - The Breakfast Club Live Discussion

Discussion in 'Group Discussions' started by Nigerian Prince, Oct 20, 2015.

1. Nigerian Prince

Squad Veteran Most Valuable Player The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Single

What do you guys think? Will Hip-Hop ever accept fully accept homosexuality?

Start at the 2:25 mark.

Rod Turpin and cypher21 dapped this.
  2. cypher21

cypher21 Deactivated Account
    The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    Not looking
    I think it's like what Charlemagne said, whether some people accept it or not it going to happen...
    [​IMG]

There have been too much progress in this on every front (TV, Movies, other Music genres, sports the GOVERNMENT!!) that its not a question of if [​IMG] lol but when! It'll just take time.

Nigerian Prince dapped this.
  3. OhSheit

Bae Material The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Bicurious
    Dating:
    In a Relationship
    Should I check the comment box?

4. Dante

Dante https://www.gofundme.com/qv7v5dw
    The Great Debater The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Single
    I think that it will, because homosexuality isn't something that is a disease that's spreading. There are men and women in all careers, even in all entities of entertainment that are either gay or bisexual. However, with homophobia/biphobia being an internal threat to a career if that personal information is disclosed, it will be hard for anyone trying to have a music career to even be taken seriously.

For example, Michael Sams came out trying to pursue a professional career in football. However, media and the NFL used the narrative and his talent and potential , alongside opportunities went in the trash. Another example is Fly Young Red. He is talented, but nobody is checking for him, especially with the "Throw That Boy Pussy" song and video that the media and entertainment industry laughed at. As for Miles and Milan, the same thing is happening. Nobody is taking them seriously on behalf of being hip hop artists. And being on a reality show called Love and Hip Hop (Anything), which we all know for being what it is, is adding flames to the wildfire and is not helping at all.

For Frank Ocean, I say that it was progress at the least, though singing and being gay/bi is easier than rapping and being gay/bi. His confession of a love affair to another man was news. However, it didn't overshadow the positive recognition of his body of work with "Channel Orange", which was taking seriously, even by awards associations. And of course Sam Smith was a win, though his pigmentation gave him right of passage (ijs). However, his "In The Lonely Hour" album and his career so far was taken seriously.

I will say that actor/singer Jussie Smollett (Jamal on "Empire") has set the bar. He declined interviews for a long time and truly focused on his music and acting career. Though Malik Yoba accidentally threw him under the bus (i.e. never tell personal stuff to him #verballeakage), he handled the interview on Ellen's show like a pro and it was back to business and let's keep it moving. And plus, he is very talented and that shines over his sexuality being thrown in the media or it being used against him and his career.

As for hip hop, Jussie Smollett should be the blueprint. It will have to take someone who is gay/bi to make their talent in the area of hip hip seriously and make sure that when they step in the door, they kick it in, but not do anything or be a part of anything that is going to distract that. It damn sure won't be Miles or Milan and Mona Scott Young made sure of that selling them a dream for a check and a celebrity.

#4 Dante, Oct 20, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
    redsai84 and Nigerian Prince dapped this.
  5. Rod Turpin

Squad Leader

Daps Received:
    I think it will take a lot of time. The reality is a lot of the hypermasculine urban image (the "hood" image) that a large portion of rap caters to is culturally homophobic. One person in the video said that an gay artist could absolutely make it, as long as he was a "real thug". But the issue is that for a lot of people, being gay goes against that image. So until that image eitehr changes, or becomes less of a core element of hip hop, things will stay the same.

Dante, Nigerian Prince and redsai84 dapped this.
  6. Ishmal

Ishmal Squad Member

Daps Received:
    I am just waiting for some actually good music that I can quote from one of them.

It seems like whenever one of these "coming out" stories is shown for the public to see, that seems to be the whole story line. Not their talent, skill, music, or whatever they are doing. Just o they gay now.

Cyrus-Brooks, Dante and SB3 dapped this.
  7. Cyrus-Brooks

Cyrus-Brooks is a Featured MemberCyrus-Brooks The Black Vulcan
    Squad Leader Best Site Comments The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    In a Relationship
    If the comments I read on most hip hop websites, black websites, and black social media groups are any indication. Don't hold your breath. Anti-gay attitudes(especially when it comes to male homosexuality) are thoroughly entrenched in the AA community and aren't going away anytime soon. Even among non-religious black people there is rampant homophobia. Homosexuality widely viewed as a white conspiracy to destroy black people which explains why frauds like Umar Johnson have broad popularity with large segments of the community.

Dante dapped this.