Bernie Calls For DC Statehood.

Discussion in 'Race, Religion, Science and Politics' started by ColumbusGuy, Jun 13, 2016.

1. ColumbusGuy

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    3 days before D.C. primary, Bernie Sanders calls for statehood - CNNPolitics.com

Washington (CNN)Just days before D.C. residents head to the polls in 2016's final presidential primary, Democratic presidential hopeful Sen. Bernie Sanders highlighted his support for District of Columbia statehood.

"I think it is morally wrong for American citizens who pay federal taxes, fight in our wars and live in our country to be denied the basic right to full congressional representation," Sanders said in a statement Saturday.
    Sanders also mentioned support for the cause in an off-hand remark at a campaign rally in the nation's capital on Thursday.

"I hope that the next time I'm back we're going to be talking about the state of Washington, D.C.," Sanders said.
    Sanders also lent support for D.C. statehood in June 2015 when he helped co-sponsor legislation on the issue, The Hill reported.
    Efforts to make D.C. a state have been a large part of D.C. Mayor Muriel Bowser's platform while in office. On Tuesday, Bowser proposed adding the issue to the Democratic National Committee's platform, according to NBC Washington.
    The presidential election will head into its final primary day on Tuesday, but Sanders' democratic challenger, Hillary Clinton, has already secured enough delegates to make her the presumptive Democratic nominee.
    Sanders has vowed to continue his bid in hopes of swaying superdelegates in his favor at the convention, but he is set to meet with some of his top supporters and advisers on Sunday in Burlington, Vermont, to discuss the future of his campaign.
    On Thursday, Sanders signaled that he was looking forward to meeting with Clinton "in the near future to see how we can work together to defeat Donald Trump and to create a government which represents all of us and not just the 1%."
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't see why it should not be a state-the residents need full representation like anyone else.

I also think we need to get Puerto Rico in if they want-they are more like a colonial possession now and need more help from the rest of the nation-it is shameful what they are going through down there especially with being a part of the US.

2. jpo

jpo
    The 100 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Single
    This is an easy hit for Sanders and for every other Democratic politician. I am not criticising him, but as a resident of Washington DC for the past 35 years I have heard it all before. The simple fact is that until the rest of the country agrees and supports and amendment to the constitution, there is no way statehood happens. Any attempt to do it another way will not pass the Supreme Court.
    The fact this gets noticed now is just because DC's local politicians for their own reasons staged our primary after the main event was all done.
    And Bowser's efforts in this area will be as fruitless as in everything else she does. But at least we have a streetcar