I Chose Not to Watch the Super Bowl. So What?

Discussion in 'Group Discussions' started by RobFather X, Feb 8, 2016.

1. RobFather X

Supporter

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    Single
    FREE THOUGHT: While "everyone" - both on and off social media will be talking about the Super Bowl and about the events which happened in it today and perhaps for the rest of the week, I confess that I did not watch - or rather, I chose not to watch Stupor Bowl L (50). In fact, until yesterday at work(I work at a news/talk/sports radio station), I had no idea or any interest in which football teams were playing this year's SB. I didn't know where SB50 was going to be played either. I also don't know the names of any of the popular players belonging to either team – although there may be one or two players whose names I may have before heard of but which I took no interest in remembering nor any interest in memorizing the team that person played for, his team number or his playing position. Such things simply don't interest me, particularly if I don't know that player personally. That's how it is with me regarding some (but not all) sports.

As for the game itself: Yes: I've seen a number of SB games in the past but only when I have either been invited to a SB party or - when I was in the Navy years ago, on a ship while at sea. Provided we had good satellite reception, the game was carried on a couple of very large TVs (long before HDTV and those wide flat screen TVs came into existence) on the mess decks (dining area) for the crew to watch. If I haven't been invited to a SB game party where there are family and/or friends or if I don't know where such a party is being held with family and friends who live nearby then I'm usually home alone and won't watch the game - which I would only watch for the half-time performances and new TV commercials. I couldn't care less about favored teams or players and have never participated in any football pools for that very reason.
    There are a few pubs in my area that carry the game but I'm too shy to go those places where I don't know anyone just so I could put on airs and pretend to know what's going on with the SB game or to pretend that I give a damn over which team wins or loses; teams which I can't legitimately favor because I don't know anything significant about them. No, I'm not that kind of guy.

So there you go. Sometimes I feel that I'm the only one of my kind (masculine male) in a group or forum of men who just knows sports. For some reason, I felt the need to share this with you all today. I'm also making this post to shake up the well-held assumption that all, if not most, masculine men or more specifically, masculine gay and bisexual men (I'm bisexual) are into football and/or are into sports in general, which is simply not the case.
    Thanks for listening.

–RobFather

Jaa, Tyroc and grownman dapped this.
  2. grownman

The 100 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    We are going to get along very well I see.

RobFather X dapped this.
  3. ColumbusGuy

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    I only cared a bit about it, I am a college football fan(OSU). I fell asleep and missed most of the first half and the halftime show. The halftime show is actually my least favorite part anyway. Halftime is when you pee, poop, then make more food to eat during the second half, etc.
    I just sort of jumped on the bandwagon a bit because Alabama and the SEC (and the South) dominated college football imo this year and being from the North I just had to root against the South and the hated SEC which meant favoring Denver even though I don't like Peyton. I only care about college football and some about the NBA but beyond that, I really only follow Golf...I used to play(badly) and I have someone to root for (Jason Day...Australian but lives here in a suburb with his Ohio wife). And yes, I will watch 4 hours of golf lol.

I am the ultimate homer. OSU, Cavs, etc. and I will not even speak the name of that rival 'team up North'-the one in @RobFather X 's state.

And when are college players going to be paid? The OSU football program is worth 1 BILLION dollars-almost as much as some NFL teams. The players need reimbursed.

RobFather X dapped this.
  4. grownman

The 100 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    l love basket ball-became a NBA fan about six years ago. My home town team finally went to the finals and won against the Cavs. This was when he was still with Cleveland before his sellout ass went to Miami.

RobFather X dapped this.
  5. Jai

Jai Being strong minded.
    The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Asexual
    Dating:
    Single
    I don't watch football. Im pretty weird though. I dont watch sports at all but will accept a challenge. Haha. If You told me to pick a team, Id have a poor way of doing this but I will often challenge my cousin on his favorite team.

He's obsessed with Dallas Cowboys

My cousin said I aint normal and doesnt understand how a person could not watch any sports..lol

Since I know how it feels about gays, I often irritate him about how football would be more interesting if the players were naked. They already halfway there with tights and takling each other..and slappin booties.

He gets fussy everytime!! Haha!Haha!

I think Im worse than you are. I dont know anything about the super bowl. Lol.

RobFather X dapped this.
  6. Kouncelor

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Not a sports watcher her. I caught the first half on a plane yesterday evening, because I had nothing else to do. I didn't know who was playing, nor did I care.Now, if I go to a live game of any sport, I'm there in a minute. I do enjoy the action, especially when it is being truly played as a team sport- but ask me about players and stats, you'll just be hearing the crickets.

In college, I was a varsity gymnast for 4 years and I will go out of my way to watch some Olympic sports, because they are for mor interesting (not common).

I think part of the reason I don't do sports is because when I was much younger, I was irritate by the fact that:
    1. These folks made so much money [RIDICULOUS CASH] for a game. Yes, it is entertainment.. and has entertainment value. And we, the people "worshiped" them so that we invest so much of our finances on games, sneakers, equipment, etc.. most never to earn a 10th of that money.

2. So many in out community idolize sports so that they put aside any interest in other careers and are left with nothing.

3. These games are not team sports to me any more. It's about the star players. Entire games hinge on whether a particular individual or individuals play.

Just my humble opinion.

alton, RobFather X, Tyroc and 1 other person dapped this.
  7. RobFather X

Supporter

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    Single
    I fully feel you especially on this point, g: "These games are not team sports to me any more. It's about the star players. Entire games hinge on whether a particular individual or individuals play."