Police in Chechnya Have Rounded Up at Least 100 Gay Men and are Killing Them

Discussion in 'LGBT News and Events' started by Lancer, Apr 2, 2017.

1. Lancer

Best Thread Creator The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    [​IMG]
    Ramzan Kadyrov, the Chechen president. His spokesman denied the report by Novaya Gazeta. Photograph: Musa Sadulayev/AP

MOSCOW — First, two television reporters vanished. Then a waiter went missing. Over the past week, men ranging in age from 16 to 50 have disappeared from the streets of Chechnya.

On Saturday, a leading Russian opposition newspaper confirmed a story already circulating among human rights activists: The Chechen authorities were arresting and killing gay men.

While abuses by security services in the region, where Russia fought a two-decade war against Islamic insurgents, have long been a stain on President Vladimir V. Putin’s human rights record, gay people had not previously been targeted on a wide scale.

The men were detained “in connection with their nontraditional sexual orientation, or suspicion of such,” the newspaper, Novaya Gazeta, reported, citing Russian federal law enforcement officials, who blamed the local authorities.

By Saturday, the paper reported, and an analyst of the region with her own sources confirmed, that more than 100 gay men had been detained. The newspaper had the names of three murder victims, and suspected many others had died in extrajudicial killings.

A spokesman for Chechnya’s leader, Ramzan Kadyrov, denied the report in a statement to Interfax on Saturday, calling the article “absolute lies and disinformation.”

“You cannot arrest or repress people who just don’t exist in the republic,” the spokesman, Alvi Karimov, told the news agency.

“If such people existed in Chechnya, law enforcement would not have to worry about them, as their own relatives would have sent them to where they could never return,” Mr. Karimov said.

The sweep, like so much else in Russian politics today, was entangled in the country’s troubled politics of street activism.

It began, Novaya Gazeta reported, after a Moscow-based gay rights group, GayRussia.ru, applied for permits to stage gay pride parades in four cities in Russia’s predominantly Muslim North Caucasus region, of which Chechnya is a part.

The group had not focused on the Muslim areas. It had been applying for permits for gay parades in provincial cities around Russia, and collecting the inevitable denials, in order to build a case about gay rights and freedom of assembly with the European Court of Human Rights, in Strasbourg, France. It had applied to more than 90 municipal governments. Nikolai Alekseev, a gay rights activist coordinating this effort, told Novaya Gazeta he had chosen this tactic rather than staging risky, unsanctioned gay parades.

The group had not applied for a permit in Chechnya, but in another Muslim region in southern Russia, Kabardino-Balkaria. The mere application there — denied, as usual — had prompted an anti-gay counterdemonstration.

In the restive Muslim regions, Mr. Putin has empowered local leaders to press agendas of traditional Muslim values, to co-opt an Islamist underground. The gay pride parade applications became a galvanizing issue.

“In Chechnya, the command was given for a ‘prophylactic sweep’ and it went as far as real murders,” Novaya Gazeta reported.

According to the report, the authorities set to finding and arresting closeted gay men, partly by posing as men looking for dates on social networking sites.

“Of course, none of these people in any way demonstrated their sexual orientation publicly — in the Caucasus, this is equal to a death sentence,” the newspaper wrote of those detained in the sweep.

“I got numerous, numerous signals,” about the sweep of gay men, said Ekaterina L. Sokiryanskaya,, Russia project coordinator for the International Crisis Group, and an authority on the North Caucasus. “It came from too many sources not to be true.”

Gay men have begun deleting online accounts, or fleeing the region. One user of Vkontakte, a Russian social networking site, wrote that a 16-year-old boy had been detained in a village in Chechnya. He returned days later, according to the post, “all beaten, just a sack with bones.”

The newspaper published contact information to aid men wanting to leave Chechnya for relatively more tolerant parts of Russia. But reaching communities of closeted gay men in the remote mountain region poses challenges.

“Even delivering the information is very difficult,” Ms. Sokiryanskaya, who is familiar with the aid effort, said. “They are just small islands, isolated.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/01/...-killing-gay-men-russian-paper-says.html?_r=0

2. Nigerian Prince

Squad Veteran Most Valuable Player The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Single
    I thank God everyday that I live in the U.S. where for the most part people just do not care about people being gay. Especially in Atlanta, GA.

ColumbusGuy and Lancer dapped this.
  3. ColumbusGuy

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    Um..yeah..this part really makes me believe they are going to be honest about something happening to gays there. SMH. I really don't like Islam...call me a religious bigot I don't care. I don't like most religions but Islam(right now at least)seems to be the worst. Even the 'moderates' are not very moderate. You really do not hear very many liberal(do they exist)or 'moderate' Islamic people speaking out about that many of the horrors committed in the name of the religion-maybe because of the nature of the religion and how their own necks might be facing a dull knife blade?

Just overall fuck religion. And I do have religious tolerance-I just barely tolerate religion-just barely.

Cyrus-Brooks dapped this.
  4. Cyrus-Brooks

Cyrus-Brooks is a Featured MemberCyrus-Brooks The Black Vulcan
    Squad Leader Best Site Comments The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    In a Relationship
    Que all the so-called liberals and progressive bitching and moaning that any criticism of Islam is "racist" or "islamophobic." What glaring double standard. Had it been a Christian country doing this it would be all over the news and lefties the world over would be condemning it. As an anti-theist I find people giving Islamic countries a pass for this to be the height of hypocrisy. I do think @ColumbusGuy makes a valid point. Many if not most so called Muslim "moderates" are not really that moderate. There is a popular atheist meme which says something to the effect that the extremist Muslim wants to behead you and the moderate Muslim wants the extremist to behead you. This definitely seems to be the case when it comes to gay men.

ColumbusGuy dapped this.
  5. BlackguyExecutive

BlackguyExecutive Je suis diplomate
    Squad Leader Best Site Comments The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Married
    Friends, we should keep perspective. Only 11% of countries in the world have protected LGBT rights, only 11% have bestowed marriage rights. That means 89% of the world has not protected LGBT people.

Even in America, where we experience the freedom to marry as LGBT people, we can get married on Saturday and get fired on Monday. We still have a long way to go in the good old USA. With that being said, we don't have the state-sponsored murder of LGBT people by disappearance or throwing off buildings and so forth.

I would caution against the anti-Islam position because they are the flavor of the century. Places like Jamaica, Uganda, Russia, all have Christian persecutors of gays. The Lord's Resistance Army that operates in Uganda, Central African Republic, and Sudan target LGBT people and exploit children all for the Lord Thy God Jesus. Many Eastern European Orthodox Christian countries such as Romania, Croatia, Bosnia are all anti-LGBT. But when they murder people it doesn't make breaking news on CNN or BBC. Most religions are complicit in the brutalization of LGBT people, in particular, women and children.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Cyrus-Brooks

Cyrus-Brooks is a Featured MemberCyrus-Brooks The Black Vulcan
    Squad Leader Best Site Comments The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    In a Relationship
    I don't play favorites. I think all Abrahamic religions(Judaism, Christianity, and Islam) are barbaric mythologies that bring out the worst in people. Anti-lgbt antagonism promoted by these belief systems are one of the many things I despise about all these religions.

7. ColumbusGuy

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    I respectfully but strongly disagree. You have to cherry pick the non-muslim nations where there is a serious problem with gays being killed and denied any kinds of rights-you have to do the opposite and cherry pick the muslim nations where these things DO NOT occur. It is not the same.
    The state of gay rights around the world

Look at the map. It pretty much tells it all.

In most muslim nations you could not even ask the question about transgender rights or gather the info for a poll.
    The fact that 'others do it too' is not an excuse for the Islamic nations, and yes, there is a general Islamophobia(but why is that?) and yeah, that is a good issue, but that also does not negate or make irrelevant the discussion at hand.

Uganda, Jamaica, etc are reminders of just how much of this shit is again, derived from religion-but as bad as these other religious influences are now(and certainly they have been horrific in the past)we have to look at what is happening NOW and WHERE and can't bury our heads in the sand about things because they are not 'politically correct' or are 'inconvenient' because of other things going on regarding Islam. I am not giving any other religions a break-I am just pointing out the obvious worst offender religion in the World right now.

*'not all' lol.

#7 ColumbusGuy, Apr 6, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
    Cyrus-Brooks dapped this.