WATCH: Darius Clark Monroe's DIRT

Discussion in 'Movies and Shorts' started by OckyDub, Nov 14, 2016.

1. OckyDub

OckyDub is a Verified MemberOckyDub I gave the Loc'ness monstah about $3.50
    Site Founder The 10000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    [​IMG]

From the director who created the infamous short film SLOW, Darius Clark Monroe has a new short titled DIRT. Staring Segun Akande; this is beautifully shot, the cinematography is on point and it is captivating but to be honest, I have no idea what it’s about. Does it represent karma, self-reflection or does it have to deal with men attempting to bury their pain and not dealing with it properly or constructively, thus creating a cycle of pain? I don’t know. Check out the short below.

The short is described as:

“We survive in the midst of pure madness. Burying our souls, while suppressing fury. Perpetually mourning the loss of our former, present and future selves. To be black in the world is to be intimate with trauma and pain.”

What are your thoughts and what’s the meaning or message you come away with after viewing?

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Read the whole post here.

Jdudre, OhSheit and jpo dapped this.
  2. jpo

jpo
    The 100 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Single
    Watched it twice and confused by unfolding of time - are we seeing a flashback? Or is it a somehow a cycle as @Ockydub suggests? No clue but it is well shot and the mystery is pretty straightforward. For some reason I could not take my eye off the crack in the windshield the first time I watched it.

OckyDub dapped this.
  3. FREEDOM TRAIN

FREEDOM TRAIN Squad Member

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Dating:
    Single
    LOOKS LIKE HE IS SHOOTING AND BURYING HIMSELF FOR SOME REASON. - WHATEVER THE REASONS ARE THIS SHORT IS DISTURBING. - BECAUSE THIS IS WHAT MOBS , GANGSTERS & BAD PEOPLE DO. THEY BURY PEOPLE TO COVER UP A THEIR CRIMES. - DON'T LIKE THE SHORT, THE WRITER NEEDED TO ADD MORE TO THE STORY FOR US TO UNDERSTAND WHAT OF HIMSELF HE IS SHOOTING AND BURYING. - MAYBE HIS HUMAN DIRT IS WHAT HE BURYING UNDER THE DIRT [ BUT THE QUESTION IS : WHAT IS HIS DIRT ? ].

4. Comment Imported From Main Site

Daps Received:
    Each day another frustration, another failure, another pain, another defeat of the spirit, another small death that must surpressed and buried. This is daily and perpetual...

Jdudre and OckyDub dapped this.
  5. jpo

jpo
    The 100 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Single
    There's an interesting interview with Monroe here Sundance ’16 Interview: Darius Clark Monroe on Unearthing “Dirt”
    I did not know that this was shown at Sundance. Monroe in the interview lays out the process of making the film and provides insight into his creative process and the role of preparation and chance in this.
    I would like to see more of his work.
    Has anyone seen Evolution of a Criminal?