WATCH: "F**got" - A Homophobes Short Film Guide To Gaining Black Heterosexual Acceptance

Discussion in 'Movies and Shorts' started by Nick Delmacy, Sep 18, 2015.

1. Nick Delmacy

Nick Delmacy is a Verified MemberNick Delmacy Da Architect
    Site Founder The 10000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    [​IMG]

Actor/Writer/Director Kenneth “Charlee Summer” Brown Jr shows us how to convince black heterosexual homophobes to accept us in this short student film with the controversial title, F**got.”

The story centers around a heterosexual man named Jahmahl (played by Kenneth Brown Jr. himself) who travels across the country to visit his best friend Ian, who happens to be Gay with a live-in effeminate boyfriend. As he socializes with Ian, his partner and his Gay friends, Jahmahl’s prejudices come to the surface threatening to end their fragile friendship altogether.

“This film aims to test the possibilities of a friendship between Straight and Gay African American Men while exploring the homophobic title attached to the Black Community. The title is NOT meant to offend anyone by no means.” says Kenneth Brown Jr.

Having said that, the film awkwardly depicts the “possibility of the gay and straight friendship” as one where the burden falls on the homosexual man to mend. Most of the screen time is spent (unsuccessfully) trying to convince the lone heterosexual man that he should accept gays.

Spoiler Alert: It only takes one question at the end to turn Jahmahl around, breaking his deep seeded bigotry. “Why are you here?” That’s it. That’s all it took.

Wait, what?

But it was actually a good question. The character appears surprised and disturbed to see gay people show up at this dinner party…but we learn through dialogue that Jahmahl had learned that Ian was gay before traveling cross country for the visit. And he had already long rejected his friend for it, like many others.

So yeah, Why was he there? And why was he so surprised?

The only creative reason for this is this story is meant for the benefit of Straight Men, not gays. Why else would this film be (unnecessarily) titled, “F**got?”

From the beginning, the character of Jahmahl seems to only exist to voice how many black heterosexuals feel about the LGBT movement and Gay community as a whole. In an extended out-of-place conversation, Jahmahl preaches that gay civil rights are not the same as black civil rights merely because gays can hide their sexuality. This comes literally minutes after we see Jahmahl instantly detect two men are gay immediately after they walk into the room. So much for that hiding theory.

I have no idea if the filmmaker is heterosexual…or what his politics are…or if he’s in fact a homophobic black man who shares the views of the character he plays in the film…but I do know this film doesn’t add much to the conversation on Gay rights, Homophobia or even Black Cinema itself.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#1 Nick Delmacy, Sep 18, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2015
    Nigerian Prince dapped this.
  2. OhSheit

Bae Material The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Bicurious
    Dating:
    In a Relationship
    Hmmm, I'll check this out this weekend.

3. Rod Turpin

Squad Leader

Daps Received:
    I'm also really unclear on exactly what message the film was trying to convey. That homophobia is wrong? That accepting a gay friend can take time? Both? It seems to set up what could be an interesting resolution but it never actually plays out. And I too didn't see much point to the title, other than possible shock value.

4. alton

Squad Leader The Great Debater The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    I agree @Rod!. It started off good and seemed like it was gonna culminate to something meaningful during their conversation towards the end but then it just....pffff....fizzled out. LOL

5. jusrawb

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    In a Relationship
    I would have definitely liked for this to be a little longer to explore more in depth on "why was he there". I share this experience somewhat, where I have plenty of straight friends that say they are cool with it but are never in put in a uncomfortable situation where their actions have to prove it. I find myself keeping my straight friends and gay friends separate.